Hardscaping, the design and installation of hard materials such as stone, concrete pavers, porcelain, and granite has become a popular landscaping trend in recent years. Hardscaping not only adds aesthetic value to your outdoor space but also increases functionality and durability. With the ever-evolving trends in outdoor design, new hardscaping trends have emerged that homeowners should consider when planning their next outdoor project. In this article, we'll explore some of the latest trends in hardscapes.
Sustainability is no longer a buzzword but a way of life for many. Sustainable hardscaping is all about using eco-friendly materials that have a minimal impact on the environment. Natural stone, limestone and cobblestone are now frequently used for hardscaping.
Incorporating native plants into the hardscaping design is another sustainable practice as they provide habitat and food for local wildlife, helping to maintain the biodiversity of the area. By utilizing natural hardscaping materials, plants blend seamlessly with the overall design of a yard and gardens can become retreats from the hustle and bustle of life.
Mixing materials is a popular trend in hardscaping that adds visual interest and texture to outdoor spaces. Mixing materials can also help to create distinct zones in a large outdoor space.
A few ways mixed materials can be utilized include:
- Patios: Combining different materials such as stone, concrete pavers can create a visually stunning patio that adds both form and function to the landscape. The contrast in texture and color can add visual interest to the space.
- Retaining Walls: Mixing materials such as stone, granite, and concrete can create a visually stunning retaining wall that adds both form and function to the landscape. The contrast in texture and color can add visual interest to the space.
- Fire Pits: Fire features such as fire pits and fireplaces are a popular addition to outdoor spaces. They provide warmth and ambiance and are perfect for entertaining. Fire features come in a range of styles and sizes, from traditional wood-burning fire pits to modern gas-powered fireplaces. Some fire features even double as cooking surfaces, making them a practical addition to any outdoor kitchen. Combining materials such as stone and limestone can create a unique and rustic fire pit that adds both warmth and visual interest to the outdoor space.
- Water Features: Mixing materials such as boulders, stone slabs, and columns can create a visually stunning water feature that adds both beauty and tranquility to the landscape. Fountains, ponds, and waterfalls are a great way to add a calming element to your outdoor space. They also come in a range of sizes, from small tabletop fountains to large-scale waterfalls.
- Outdoor Kitchens: Outdoor kitchens are a trend that has been growing in popularity in recent years. With the increasing popularity of outdoor living, more homeowners are choosing to create outdoor kitchens that allow them to cook and entertain outside. Outdoor kitchens can include features such as grills, pizza ovens, sinks, and refrigerators.
- Seating Areas: Mixing materials such as freestanding block, natural stone, and boulders can create a unique and inviting seating area that adds both form and function to the landscape.
Using mixed materials in hardscaping design not only adds character and uniqueness to an outdoor space but also helps to create a custom look that is tailored to your preferences and helps to create a cohesive design that ties together different elements of the outdoor space.
Modern and Minimalist
Modern and minimalist designs have been on the rise in recent years, and this trend is now making its way into hardscaping. The use of clean lines, simple shapes, and neutral colors in modern hardscaping designs helps to create a sense of calm and order in the outdoor space. By minimizing clutter and focusing on simplicity, these designs can create a more peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. This is especially important in outdoor spaces, where you want to unwind and escape the stress of everyday life.
Likewise, the use of clean lines and simple shapes, modern hardscaping designs often incorporate materials such as concrete pavers, stone, and porcelain. These materials are durable, easy to maintain, and can add a sleek and contemporary look to the outdoor space. They also work well with other modern design elements such as minimalistic furniture and lighting fixtures.
Lighting is an important element in hardscaping design, as it can greatly enhance the look and feel of an outdoor space. In recent years, lighting has become more than just a functional aspect of hardscaping design, and it is now considered an integral part of the overall aesthetic.
LED lighting is becoming the standard in hardscaping design because it is energy-efficient and can be programmed to change colors and intensity. This means that homeowners can create different lighting effects for different occasions, such as a party or a relaxing evening outside. LED lighting can also be used to highlight specific features of a hardscape design such as a water feature, plantings, or seating area. By strategically placing lighting fixtures, hardscaping professionals can draw attention to these features and create a focal point in the outdoor space.
There are many different types of lighting fixtures that can be used in hardscaping design, including path lights, spotlights, and underwater lights. Path lights are ideal for illuminating walkways and pathways, while spotlights can be used to highlight specific features of the hardscape design. Underwater lights are particularly useful for illuminating water features such as ponds, fountains, and swimming pools, and can create a beautiful and dramatic effect.
When it comes to hardscaping, it's important to work with professionals who can help you design and install a functional and beautiful outdoor space. A team of experts like the one at Groundscapes can help you choose the right materials, create a layout that meets your needs and budget, and ensure that your hardscaping project will be one you can enjoy for years to come.
Thanks for your comment!
Thanks for your feedback! Your comments have been successfully submitted! Please note, all comments require admin approval prior to display.
Error submitting comment!
There is a problem with your comment, please see below and try again.